Panel Discussion – Accessing Educational Datasets at Michigan: Privacy, Policy, Security, Legal, and Ethical Considerations and Responsibilities
Join us on Monday, November 20 from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Hatcher Gallery at the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library (913 S University Ave.) for AIM Analytics.
AIM Analytics was created to bridge the gaps in the support of UM learning analytics researchers with respect to the building of technical skills, sharing knowledge of educational datasets, and facilitating collaborative investigations.
For this discussion, we welcome a panel of experts from the University of Michigan to share their knowledge and experience in understanding how to access and responsibly use educational data at U-M. Suitable for all faculty, postdocs, researchers and students who are looking to use educational data, this panel will provide insight into the “how,” “who” and “why” of educational data at U-M. The panel discussion will be followed by a Q&A session.
Panelists to include:
Sol Bermann, Interim Chief Information Security Officer, U-M Information and Technology Services
Maya Kobersy, Associate General Counsel, U-M Office of the General Counsel
Mike Daniel, Director of Policy and Operations, U-M Office of Academic Innovation
Cynthia Shindledecker, Director, U-M Health and Behavioral Sciences Institutional Review Board
Some of the questions that will be discussed include:
1) How will the changes in human subjects regulations impact Institutional Review Board (IRB) review of learning analytics research?
2) What does Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) mean to the researcher, and how does the research ensure their work complies with U-M FERPA requirements?
3) Who are the data stewards, and how do you find the right person to ask for educational data?
4) What are best practices for de-identifying data? What is the difference between de-identifying data and anonymizing data?
5) What privacy and ethical considerations and best practices should I be thinking about?
6) What data security practices do I need to follow and/or should I consider?
Lunch will be provided. Please RSVP below by Friday, November 17.