We are thrilled to announce the return of the Gameful Learning Summer Institute (GLSI)!
Last July, GLSI brought faculty, teachers, instructional designers, administrators, staff and students together from around the world to learn about gameful ideas and how to design a course from a gameful perspective.
Based on positive feedback from attendees and adoption of gameful ideas, we are excited to host an expanded format for GLSI. We welcome those who attended GLSI last year, as well as new members into our community to share ideas about teaching and working in gameful learning.
There are two types of presentation opportunities available:
- Lightning Talk (8 minutes): Lightning talks are brief, informative presentations designed to share ideas, concepts, a research project overview, innovations, best practices, or basically anything that you think might be of interest to our gameful group. We encourage creativity in format for these.
- Session Presentation (50 minutes): We know that educators are doing amazing things out there. These presentations are designed to offer the opportunity to explore a gameful topic in depth. These sessions may include a single speaker or multiple speakers. They are strongly encouraged to be hands-on and interactive.
Content & Topics We Are Looking For:
We are looking for a few good presentations and we would love to hear from you. Propose a topic related to gameful – it could be about your perspectives as an instructor, activity in the class or a meaningful experience related to anything gameful. Topics could include:
- Designing assessment structures
- Student choice and personalized learning paths
- Supporting failure as part of the learning process
- Transparent methods to communicate expectations and paths to success
- Workload strategies for students and instructors
- Using games for learning
- Building belongingness in the classroom
- Building a sense of competence in your learners
- Strategies for student feedback
- Communicating with stakeholders outside the classroom: Administrators, parents, etc.
- Up to 2 presenters per accepted proposal will qualify for discounted registration to the conference (workshops are a separate fee)
- Lightning Talk: Please submit a link to a short (one to two minute) video describing what you’d like to share with the gameful community. We’re not concerned about production values – webcams are just fine. Remember: creativity counts! To submit your video, please host your video on YouTube, Vimeo or your platform of choice and share a link to the video with us.
- Session Proposal: Please include a title, a brief statement about why you are personally excited about the topic, 3 learning goals/objectives for the session with specific takeaways for participants and a 300-word session abstract.
How to Submit a Proposal & Important Dates:
- Deadline to submit a proposal is Friday, March 2, 2018
- Notifications of selected proposals will be sent by Friday, March 16, 2018.
- Session presentations and lightning talks will take place at the Gameful Learning Summer Institute on Monday, July 23, 2018 and Tuesday, July 24, 2018.